Installing a home/business security system can be costly, but not installing one could cost you even more. Below you will take a look at the top reasons to install a home/business security system or upgrading your existing home/business alarm system.
Residential Security System Facts
Protect Your Home and Family from Intruders
The biggest reason a home owner should consider installing a home security system is that it offers protection to family members from intruders. According to “Securing Home and Business” by Simon Hakim/Erwin Blackstone, homes without security systems are 2.7 times more likely to be targeted by a burglar. This indicates that the mere presence of an alarm system is enough in most cases to protect the home and its occupants from break-in. In some cases, burglars may still target a home either knowingly or unknowingly when members of the family are inside. For the burglar who enters the home expecting it to be empty, finding members of the family inside can cause enough shock and panic to facilitate aggressive behavior. Having a security system in place often provides family members with enough warning to get to a safe location in our outside the home. For burglars that enter a home knowing that family members are inside, their intentions are often much more malicious and the home alarm system again serves as an early warning system.
Provide Your Family with Peace of Mind
The presence of a home security system provides many families with a peace of mind knowing that their home is protected from a variety of devastating scenarios. Finally, home alarm systems are beneficial for families that often leave family members home alone. Whether it is children of working parents being left alone, or whether it is spouses of the military who are frequently left alone for extended periods, home security systems provide peace of mind.
Protect Your Valuables
Throughout our lifetimes we collect and purchase a slew of items that have meaning to us. From sentimental inheritances to big ticket purchases, these things represent who we are and the accomplishments we have made. When burglars enter our home however, our feelings towards our possessions are the furthest thing from their minds, as they focus on the retail value of what they are taking. Each year it is estimated that there are some two and a half million burglaries across the United States. These burglaries cost homeowners some $3.1 billion with the average loss per burglary at around $2,600 – $3,600. For most homeowners, the presence of a home alarm system is enough to deter burglars but when it is not, it serves an additional function. As well as signaling authorities that the home has been burgled and increasing the chances that intruders will be caught, the cameras installed with many modern alarm systems catch the intruders in the act. Having visual documentation of the home intrusion increases the likelihood that the burglar will be identified for the crime committed. Video footage also helps homeowners create a record of what has been taken from their home during a burglary.
Save on Insurance
Home & Business owners insurance is a mandatory part of becoming a home and/or business owner in most circumstances. The cost of this type of insurance coverage varies on location, coverage, payment plans, insurance company, type of house and a few other factors. Some people see insurance as a waste of money, those who have ever had to use it (or wish that had had it to use) will disagree.
Home & business owner’s insurance is designed to cover private possessions therein from losses or damage that can occur as the result of a number of devastating events. The insurance covers most events such as fires, tornadoes and hurricanes. Flood insurance is generally not included and must be purchased separately since floods are a more common occurrence. The cost of insurance is generally not taken into consideration by first time home or business owners, but a significant discount is generally given to home and business owners with security systems installed. The total discount given as a result of having security systems differs based upon the features of the system and the amount of coverage purchased initially and the company offering the insurance. In general, home & business owners receive a 10-20% discount on their insurance by having a functioning security alarm system installed.
Keep an Eye on Your Home Remotely
For some homeowners, the ability to keep an eye on their home even when they are away is one of the biggest perks of having a home alarm system. As technology has improved, many home alarm systems now allow users to log on to the internet via their computers or smartphone and access their home security system remotely. This function not only allow homeowners to watch for intruders, but they also help to protect the home remotely.
Additional Reasons Why You Should Install a Home Security System
- Security systems not only protect family and possessions, but they also provide protection for pets. If a fire were to break out when no one but the family pet was home, without a home alarm system that pet would be doomed.
- Home security systems allow for homeowners to secure less frequented areas of the home such as the basement and the garage. This makes it more difficult for intruders to take their preferred methods of entry into the home and go unnoticed.
- Home security systems mean that homeowners do not have to depend upon neighbors to watch over their home when they are away. There is less chance of human error with alarm systems.
- Home alarm systems prevent home intruders from staying too long if they do gain access to the house.
- Modern wireless and wired alarm systems are affordable and much easier to set up and maintain than antiquated systems of the past.
- Having a home alarm system installed actually increases your home value when it comes to selling your home. As an added bonus, it also keeps your home protected throughout the selling process where a number of strangers will be inside your home.
- Homes with security systems installed have a quicker emergency response time because they cut out the middle man and directly contact authorities for faster dispatch.
- 24-hour monitoring anywhere/anytime from cellphones (ios/android), tablets, computers via camera system app.
- Alarm systems come equipped for indoor/outdoor cameras allowing homeowners and their families to see who is at the front door without going close to it. This feature is particularly useful for families with children of working parents who often have to leave children at home alone.
Facts to Consider
If you still have any doubts about whether or not your home or family could benefit from a home security system take a look at some of the following facts:
- 70% of all burglaries occur in residential properties.
- Every 14.5 seconds a robbery is reported.
- Most burglaries take place between 10am and 3pm – when the majority of homeowners are at work.
- 8% of robberies are committed with a gun according to the FBI’s crime statistics.
- The majority of burglars gain entry to the home via the front door, back door and first floor windows.
- FBI crime statistics state that during 60% of reported burglaries, someone was at home.
- Only 13% of reported burglaries are solved by the police.
- Only 15% of property that is stolen in burglaries is ever recovered by the police.
Business (Commercial) Security System Facts
Simply put, purchasing a few reliable surveillance cameras for your business can yield a high return on investment.
Video surveillance offers a number of benefits to the everyday business owner. Not only do they protect against outside break-ins and burglaries, but they also play a critical role in sustaining your business and making it a safer place to work. Simply put, purchasing a few reliable surveillance cameras for your business security can yield a high return on investment.
Sure, it might be hard to imagine that your own employees would actually steal from your business, but surprisingly it does happen more than many business owners might think. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, approximately 75% of employees steal. Unfortunately in this day and age, one of the only sure-fire ways to catch them in the act and reclaim your assets is with a surveillance camera. When employees know they’re under surveillance, they’ll think twice before taking such a risk.
Reduce Insurance Costs
This is an easy way to save money on your business insurance. Many insurance providers today offer discounted insurance rates when you buy surveillance cameras for your store or office. As a business owner with insurance, it’s important to invest in certain measures to avoid expensive insurance premiums. A dependable indoor or outdoor surveillance system assures your insurance provider that you’re taking the necessary steps to protect your business from theft, which in turn, makes their job easier. Your business suddenly becomes less of a liability on their end.
Are your employees actually working the full 8-hour shift, or are they spending their time doing something else? Employee monitoring is not just for recording theft. With the right surveillance cameras, you can find out what your employees are doing, and if any measures need to be taken to boost efficiency. This is especially helpful for retail business owners who can use monitoring to find out if they’re over- or understaffed. Just two minutes of video can tell you a lot about your company’s operational model.
Avoid Frivolous Lawsuits
The last thing you need is a lawsuit brought by a disgruntled employee who faked a slip-and-fall injury in order to sue your business. Security cameras are excellent deterrents against these types of crimes. Physical fights between employees or harassment claims can also spawn lawsuits; installed cameras will be integral in protecting yourself and your business.
Protecting your employees is just as important as protecting your business. Security cameras should be mounted at entrances, exits, and in parking lots to create a safer environment for your employees. No only will they feel more at ease walking to their cars after dark, but this security tactic also prevents vehicle break-ins, vandalism, and other petty crime activity around your office or store.
Security cameras can do much more for your business than catch criminals. When all is said and done, they’re designed to secure, protect, and monitor your company and employees. Discover how easy it is to safeguard your assets, better serve your employees, and improve the day-to-day operations of your business with a surveillance camera that’s built to help in more ways than one.